About Fairest of the Fair
The Door County Fair's Fairest of the Fair is the official ambassador of the Fair. As an official ambassador, the Fairest represents and promotes the Fair at events throughout the County and beyond, including area parades, festivals, community events, and even at the Wisconsin State Fair! The Fairest also represents the County at the Wisconsin Association of Fairs Convention, usually held in The Dells in early January, and participates in the Wisconsin Fairest of the Fairs competition while going through professional training workshops.
The Fairest of the Fair opens the Fair on Wednesday night and serves as a host and helping hand during the Fair. Whether an applicant is pursuing a career in public relations, marketing, agriculture or simply has a deep passion for the Door County Fair or their community, the position of the Fairest of the Fair is a fun-filled, exciting, and character enhancing experience. There are public speaking opportunities and/or media interviews to gain confidence for this position. The Fairest of the Fair winner will be awarded scholarship money. For more information, please contact the Door County Fairest of the Fair Coordinator. Thank you!
- The crowned Fairest of the Fair (FOTF) may only serve one year; however, all runner-ups may run as many times as they wish.
- Door County resident for at least one year prior to entry or majority of school and/or fair activity within Door County.
- Be at least 18 years of age by January 1st, 2023.
- Hold a driver’s license with a good driving record and/or have reliable transportation to events.
- $1,000 issued in two installments; 500.00 after the Fair & 500.00 after state convention
- Paid attendance to the State Fair Association Conference with meals and hotel stay & Awards Ceremony Banquet Dinner
- $60 meal or fun allowance during the fair
- Reimbursement of mileage
- Professional development
- Having fun promoting the Door County Fair
- Many other perks, pampering and gifts too
- Potential to earn more through grants, special events
1. Apply by filling out an application. (Spring) Fairest of the Fair Application
2. Prepare for an Interview: self-introduction, sample questions, 30 second Radio Ad promoting the Fair. Be interviewed. Judges make their selection (July)
The next Fairest for Door County is usually Crowned the first day of Fair and the Fairest begins his or her reign (Wednesday PM)
About Wisconsin's Fairest of the Fair Program
The Wisconsin Fairest of the Fairs (WI FOTF) program was created 55 years ago to select an ambassador for the Wisconsin Association of Fairs, which represents 75 county, district and state fairs in Wisconsin. The purpose of the program is to promote the exceptional variety of opportunities –educational, agricultural, social, cultural and commercial – available at Wisconsin's county, district and state fairs. It is a position of responsibility to all the people of Wisconsin.
To become a Wisconsin Fairest, you must compete at your local county/district Fairest Program, of a fair that is a member of the Wisconsin Association of Fairs and be selected as the local Fairest. Then you are eligible to compete at the four-day WI FOTF Contest held annually in January. The chosen State Fairest will have paid employment for one year (mostly during the summer) with needed equipment to complete the Ambassador position, like a car!